Friday, August 15, 2008

Ramon Hawaiian Music


Ahi Poke and sunset Hawaiian music at Gordon Biersch.

One of the things that I found endlessly frustrating while living in Honolulu was the lack of live Hawaiian music. Sure, you could always find Aunty Genoa Keawe playing down in Waikiki, but that was only for a couple of hours in the afternoon. For tourists. The whole idea of going out to a local bar or club to listen to a night of Hawaiian music just didn't seem to compute. Seems like some of that has changed.

A few weeks ago, I gave Ramon a call to see if he was in Honolulu or Virginia. Nowadays, the ukulele slash raku virtuoso is all over the place and one never really knows if he's here or there. Luckily, he told me he was playing at Gordon Biersch Aloha Tower tonight from 6pm to 9pm, and what more can you ask for than live Hawaiian music in Hawaii?

The place is packed, the beer is flowing and I'm in need of pupus. I decide to order up some ahi poke that's pretty good but on the warm side which kinda freaks me out. I prefer my raw fish to be served cold - outside of the food temperature danger zone, but it's pretty good and I'm pretty hungry and I figure the chances of me getting ill are high but I gamble anyway. I lived.


Gordon Biersch
Aloha Tower Marketplace
1 Aloha Tower Drive, Suite 1123
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-599-4877
www.gordonbiersch.com

No comments: