Saturday, November 24, 2007

Torrance Farmers' Market


The Main Drag at the Torrance Farmers' Market.


Before making chilaquiles for our merry band of happy eaters, I needed some last minute ingredients and decided to head to the Torrance Farmers Market.

Like most farmers markets, there are a lot of farmers selling all sorts of wares, but unlike the markets back in Baltimore, it seems like the growing season here never ends. There's California strawberries, tomatoes and just about everything under the sun. All sorts of Japanese vegetables, Chinese vegetables and who-knows-what vegetables - all ready to eat. Dates, prunes, in-season persimmons the size of softballs, apples and more stuff than I even know how to understand.

Of course, we're in California, which is home to many agri-business farms so part of me is a bit skeptical about these November Strawberries, but the rest just looks so fresh. Sheesh, I wish I was here until january so I would have enough time to explore all these ingredients.


The Puerco y Queso Pupusa.


On the other end of the farmers market is the side that's really busy: the food court. Here, you'll find the typical market fare of coffee, juices and bread, but you'll also find unique twists, like the tamales vendor or the pupusa lady. There's even roasted corn and savory crepes if you feel in the mood.

In the end, I walked away with some fresh Japanese tomatoes, a bundle of red swiss chard, two cuts of bison ribeye and a dozen eggs.

I wish I had more time in Southern California...


The pork tamal with salsa verde.



Torrance Farmers Market
Charles H. Wilson Park
2200 Crenshaw Boulevard
Torrance, CA
Tuesdays and Saturdays from 8am to 1pm

1 comment:

leosatter said...

Everything looks so good on here! LOL!

I would love to attend this someday.

Just out of curiosity….Do you know where I can get quality organic ingredients online? I am now trying to order from online stores only because of various reasons…….can you help me with any suggestions??????

These are the places I have tried:
delivery.com
celebrityfoods (best out of the 4)
dinewise.com
seamlessweb.com