Friday, October 24, 2008

New Haven: A Little Sumthin' Sumthin'


A late night snack.

The drive down from Vermont to Meriden, Connecticut was relatively trouble-free. I always find the two hour drive between Montpelier and Vermont's southern border to be excruciatingly painful. This time, it wasn't so bad. At least I had some cigars to keep me company.

I'm camped out at the recently built Quality Inn and it's a nice place. Spacious rooms, king bed, a fridge and a microwave, plus free wi-fi. I'm feeling a bit hungry when I remember the box lunch Gesine made for my arrival yesterday. I dig it out to find a ligonberry sandwich, chips and some cookies. Thanks Gesine.

The one thing about road travel is that I never seem to run out of food. I've got my trusty cooler filled with ice so I'm free to buy and store as I please. Eat at a restaurant and have leftovers? No problem. Just toss them into the cooler. And with temperatures hovering near freezing, I don't even have to worry about the food going into the cooler. That's the best thing about winter weather: natural refrigeration.

Heck, in the winter with temperatures below 40F, I'll leave food in the garage. For a few months out of the year, I've got a big walk-in refrigerator - and I don't have to pay extra. Nice.




The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast but I've got one of those pumpkin scones to try and drag it along. The breakfast looks pretty good. They've got the usual hard boiled eggs, cereals, yogurt, fruit, pastries, milk, juice and coffee, but they've also got fresh, hot waffles. Oh gosh, I really want to try the waffles (you make them yourself).

Instead, I stick with my scone, a coffee, orange juice, egg and grab a yogurt to go. I've got a schedule of tastings today and don't want to interfere with it.

No comments: