Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The F'n New Guy

It's true.

I've been traveling a lot this year. Which means that I haven't been behind the bar at The Spro as much as years past. Perhaps that's just the nature of things, but I always try to work at least one or two bar shifts per week, and I train every barista that works for me (save one).

So it was particularly amusing (and admittedly slightly irritating) when a customer came up to the counter this evening and asked my name and if I was the new guy here. Evidently, he comes in typically during the morning and knows the morning crew but doesn't know me.

I just couldn't bare to tell him the truth and perhaps embarrass him.

Instead, I played along as "The New Guy" and just let things flow. He offered some words of encouragement and to "keep up the good work" before heading off into the sunset. It was a classic moment. Never mind that my photo in the clipping from the latest issue of Baltimore Magazine is posted in front of the espresso machine.

Now, if I could only figure out how to get fired...

No comments: