Thursday, December 02, 2010

Just Like Bread


Improperly proofed croissants.

This is going to seem quite out on the edge since I have no real basis other than anecdotal, but it seems that Uganda doesn't make the best croissants I've ever tasted.

And I wonder if this goes hand-in-hand with their histories. Uganda has a history with the British. The British have a history with poor food. Rwanda has a history with the French. The French have a history of Grand Cuisine.

Seems that all of the croissants I've had in Uganda were more like bread. Take this croissant on Air Uganda today. Nice, buttery but more like bread. Looks to me like they didn't let the dough proof enough - and how do I know this? I once worked with a supplier who didn't always properly proof their croissants. Sometimes they would be beautifully flaky, other times they looked like this. They looked and felt like bread.

Maybe that's why Marie Antoinette said: "Let them eat cake!"

No comments: