Friday, April 23, 2010

Strutting on Sunset


The Lapu Lapu - I have no idea what it is but two is not advisable.

After a night of drinking with Liz, a smart person would have immediately gone to bed. Sometimes, I'm not that smart.

Instead, I met up with the crew on Sunset at Tiki Ti. A little tiny joint that's the size of a living room (seriously) and serving up some serious tiki style drinks. This place is a throwback to an older era and the mixed concoctions are sweet, balanced and stiff - very stiff.

The Lapu Lapu literally tastes like Hawaiian Punch, but if you have more than one, be prepared to be punched.




The earlier part of the evening is already hazy and now it just gets surreal. After Tiki Ti, we head down Sunset to El Cid where a Morrissey/Smiths cover/tribute band is rocking out to a group of twenty-something Latinas. Evidently, Morrissey and the alternative 80s music is big with the Latino scene here in Los Angeles.

We're downstairs at El Cid and suddenly, it's like 1987 all over again. The styles are diverse but the crowd is decidedly Latino. Girls have that rockabilly or 1940s style to them. Latina with cool hair, cool clothes, lots of style and 80s alternative music? What more can I ask for in life? I've found my own little slice of heaven in Los Angeles.


At Tiki Ti with Joe, David, Brandy, Arlene, Allen and The Bob.

Truth be told, I was never a big Morrissey fan, but I do like stylish Latina girls, therefore I'm not complaining. I'm not that dumb.

I think at this point is where a fight broke out and somehow DJ Un-G stepped in and ended it. He's got some sort of mystical, martial arts master kind of power that he channeled to end the fight. One minute, some guy is on the ground getting pounded - hard. The next, Un-G is there with just a word that causes everyone to stop. Even with my dulled senses, it was amazing.


Checking out El Cid.

As we stood outside chatting with some of the girls, I wondered just how this scene developed. How does twenty-something Latinos get this into Morrissey? And mix it in with a little rockabilly and 1940s Chola style?

It's a scene that I plan on investigating more...


"I am human and I want to be loved... just like everybody else does..."

No comments: